This patch adds a new modern bow. It’s hidden pretty deep in one of the cave systems. This bow will shoot longer and further than the crafted bow, and with more damage. To keep the crafted bow useful we’ve made it fire faster than the modern bow, but with shorter range and with less damage impact.
The cooking pot can now cook stews, making it possible to combine meat, mushrooms and berries or any combination. Each food item has it’s plus and minuses and so experimenting with the best recipes is encouraged. A lizard stew with mushroom for example will give an energy boost whilst also filling your stomach.
We added a new hard survival difficulty level. This mode will have less animals spawned, harsher penalties for eating poison, standing in fire, or being infected along with less suitcase spawns and some additional changes to make things harder to survive. This mode is a work in progress so let us know any suggestions you have on how we can make this more challenging for experienced players.
We worked further on performance this patch, especially on CPU limited machines. Previously when moving through the world or rotating the camera there would be a cpu hit based on how the inventory was parented to player. We also improved the cost on gpu of certain times of day when the sun was at it’s most extreme angles causing a higher shadow rendering cost, lowered the animator cost in a bunch of places and improved performance of enemies when offscreen. For large save games we’ve begun optimizing physics and rendering to get larger bases running faster.
We also fixed an issue with skin mask enemies appearing invisible, fixed some trap issues, improved some audio, added a first pass of blade weapon poisoning, replaced the old rusty axe art and more, for the full list check below.
If you are running a dedicated server, you will need to restart your server with the latest version to be compatible with this patch release.
As always, please continue to post your bug reports and feedback in the Discussions area of the Community Hub
- (Audio) Nitrogen tanks now play an air hiss audio event when stuck and about to explode.
- (Audio) Adding a stick to a trap in order to reset it now plays an audio event.
- (Audio) Turtle sled now plays a snow texture on top of turtle shell event when used on snow area.
- (Audio) Polished audio events for molotov, flare and dynamite when holding and then throwing. Flares also now emit a burning sfx after thrown.
- (Audio) Fixed bug where dropping bodies on some rock types wouldn’t trigger a body drop audio event.
- Fixed cave map in inventory not showing the hovered outline
- Fixed dying in the endgame area while not fighting the boss returning player to the hanging scene without properly unloading the endgame and cleaning up relevant data, leaving game in a unable to save state and with broken lighting outside
- Fixed megan sometimes disappearing if player gets hit while while picking her up in the end game
- Fixed held logs colliding awkwardly when quickly dropped by player
- Lowered Birdhouse build log cost to 1
- (multiplayer) Fixed tortoise ragdolls causing frame rate issues as host in MP
- Optimized dead shark ragdolls when players are far away
- Optimized animator cpu usage on lizards
- (Performance) Inventory & book are now kept outside of the player hierarchy at runtime which frees 2-3% of the total CPU usage while moving around
- (Performance) Setting shadow quality to low or lower now disables shadow casting from the lighter
- (Performance) Far shadows are now always disabled while in caves
- Fixed greeble layer sometimes throwing errors and breaking the work scheduler, thus preventing it from further updating the environment
- (performance) yacht collision and interior objects are now disabled unless player is close by
- Added Hard Survival game difficulty, playing in this mode will cause less animals and fish to appear in world, and with a longer respawn after killing them. Greater & faster cold penalties. Fire has been made more dangerous to the player. More food required per meal to fill stomach. Thirst comes faster. Slower respawn on gathered herbs. Meat spoils faster. It’s easier to get sick or infected and there are greater penalties from sickness and infection. A rebalancing of poisonous food, drinking bad water and eating out of date food. Along with this there is a much lower amount of spawned suitcases.
- Caves – Cave 8 cleanup and improvements
- Caves – Added save tent towards end of game
- Caves – fixed holes in caves 3,6,7
- (performance) Optimized cpu usage on enemies that are far from the player
- Fixed creepy female sometimes not attacking player when close
- Updated model/texture of rusty axe
- Cooking pot on fire is now slightly bigger
- (Multiplayer) After an attempt to join a game that banned you, fixed further attempts to connect leaving game stuck on “starting client…”
- Improved fire on enemies and player texture resolution
- Fixed player net shark head held being wrong version
- Fixed Pacifist achievement wrongly unlocking after 10 days during which enemies have been killed
- (performance) disabled physics on doorways when players are far way
- Fixed Vegan & Survive The Forest achievements not obtainable if creative mode is already available
- Optimized some areas around lakes with excessive seaweed underwater
- Fixed masked enemies sometimes appearing with invisible bodies
- You can now poison most weapons by combining them with poison berries, or poison mushrooms.
- Taking items from the sled while already at max capacity for that item will now drop it to the ground
- The list of possible recipe displayed while combining ingredients on the crafting mat now shows only distinct entries (ie: 3 recipes yield a poisoned plane axe, it will display “Poisoned Plane Axe” only once instead of 3 times)
- Fixed enemies sometimes still animating after being killed in a hbd trap
- (Performance) Now scaling down shadows at dawn and sunset to prevent it from stretching far away and causing excessive amount of objects being rendered and hindering performances
- Gathered herbs now take 1 in game day to respawn
- (Translations) Updated translations with some of recently added texts as well as some translation fixes
- (Translations) Fixed regression with book camera management that prevented translation tags from being visible
- Weapon speed calculation now clamps negative values so that a slow weapon like the crafted axe with full damage upgrade doesn’t end up with wrong animation speed value and is unable to properly cut down trees
- Caves- fixed polaroid pickup in cave 8 not showing up in book
- Arrow basket now stores the type of arrow that was added (SP only at the moment)
- (multiplayer) Fixed an issue with clients sometimes taking damage when starting on the plane
- It is now possible to add pot without water on the fire, it will be possible to pick it back up after 40s if nothing is added to it
- It is now possible to cook a stew with the cooking pot ! After adding the pot filled with water on a fire, add a choice of 20 ingredients (8 meats, 6 mushrooms, 4 herbs and 1 berry and oysters), it will start a 30s cooking period after which stew will be ready to eat, providing hydration, fullness and other benefits based on recipe. Can remain on the fire up to 10 minutes. Note, you can also add ingredients to pot without water, however this will not provide hydration and will burn food extremely fast.
- Slightly reduced damage and firing range of crafted bow